There are many art movements.
What’s happening? •
Europeans and Americans were optimistic that society would advance through the spread of democracy, capitalism, and technology
• Modern artists eagerly embraced new technologies in the creation of their work • New products and innovation = new art styles
• Political unrest and social upheaval didn’t prevent modern art from flourishing (WWI, WWII, Great Depression)
• Modern art was still mostly controversial and much criticized for being either a publicity stunt, childish, untrained, or politically subversive (most of these criticisms were false)
* Extremely cultured and intellectual avant-garde patrons support cutting-edge artists and help them flourish (Gertrude Stein)
• New – patronage of museums: museums hire fine architectural firms for expansion projects, museums become works of art, museums commission art from contemporary artists to be showcased in their public spaces
• Armory Show introduces modern art to America (not received well! Americans were horrified!) • Gallery 291 displays photos w/ art (photos = art!)
• Modern art becomes even more international (Mexico, Russia, etc.)
• Artists are outspoken – publish manifestos on their artistic beliefs
I'll post notes on specific works sometime on Sunday - I have to finish them, and I haven't had much time to work on them. This is why YOU all MUST have notes prepared for everyone, and if there are no notes --you should be taking them in class everyone.